Achieving HIPAA Compliance
- 1.00 Hr(s) HCSSA Administrator/Alternate
Summary: HIPAA compliance is a hot topic again...and will remain that way. Find out why.
HCSSA Topic(s) Addressed:
- §558.259[d]agency responsibilities
- §558.260[a]development and interpretation of agency policies
- §558.260[a]basic principles of management in a licensed health-related setting
- §558.260[a]risk assessment and management
Faculty: Acevedo, Luis
Program Description: Achieving compliance with current HIPAA’s Privacy and Security
Rules continues to prove an overwhelming task for home health
and hospice administrators. Policy development, employee training
requirements, technical oversight and notice requirements
may seem too onerous or burdensome to your daily operation.
Never fear! It is not the end of the world! You can learn to be
compliant and minimize your agency’s risk and potential liability
and protect your patients privacy rights. Presentation Date: 11.19.2013
Program Objectives: Upon completion of this program, the viewer will be able to:
- Describe an example of an administrative safeguard under the Privacy Rule
- List one example of when a healthcare provider can release protected health information without authorization
- Identify one situation in which a healthcare provider can be subject to a penalty for a HIPAA violation
- Identify one entity to which the Security Rule would apply
- Identify one duty of the HIPAA Privacy Officer
About the Presenter:
Luis Acevedo, JD, with Brooks Acevedo Attorneys at Law,
has substantial experience in executive management of large healthcare corporations as well as extensive knowledge of Health Law including
access, regulation, compliance, Stark Law, anti-kickback and e-health. As a former in-house counsel for Atlantis Health Care Group, Inc.
he offers impressive experience in corporate, real estate and business counseling. Mr. Acevedo has used his extensive background to help
health care clients resolve internal conflicts, sales and transactions, and conflicts with government agencies.
 Achieving HIPAA Compliance