Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation: New Rules from TX Senate Bill 1880
- 1.0 Hr(s) HCSSA Administrator/Alternate
Summary:How new rules & investigation process identified in the
recently passed Senate Bill 1880 that dictates an agency's policies and responses to suspected ANE
HCSSA Topic(s) Addressed:
- §558.259[d]agency responsibilities
- §558.259[d]abuse, neglect, and exploitation
- §558.260[a]development and interpretation of agency policies
- §558.260[a]basic principles of management in a licensed health-related setting
Program Description: Texas has some of the most stringent
regulations related to the identification and investigation of suspected ANE in home
health and hospice. This program discusses the new rules & investigation process
identified in the recently passed Senate Bill 1880 that dictates an agency's
policies and responses to suspected ANE. Also examined are common mistakes that
agencies make with regard to ANE complaints and practical steps to avoid them. From
the intake of the complaint to the closing of the investigation, this program
addresses the processes needed to maintain compliance with Texas regulations. Presentation Date: 11.17.2015
Program Objectives: Upon completion of this program, the viewer will be able to:
- Identify the rule that addresses self-reported incidents of abuse, neglect,
and exploitation for Home and Community Support Services Agencies.
- Identify two laws that provide definitions for ANE as it is used in §
- Describe an allegation of abuse.
- Describe Texas Senate Bill 1880.
About the Presenter:
Troy Brooks is a former Assistant General
Counsel for the Texas Department of Human Services, and has worked extensively with the Home and Community Support Services
Agencies Program. Troy now represents home health agencies across Texas in Medicare and Medicaid disputes with government
agencies and their contractors. He also represents home health agencies in negotiating and responding to government fraud
investigations. Troy runs his own law firm, Brooks Acevedo Attorney at Law, here in Houston, Texas.
 Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation: New Rules from TX Senate Bill 1880